How to Figure Out What Insurance Will Cover
This article applies to lab tests from Genova Diagnostics that are going through Insurance.
At Rupa Health, we do not know ahead of time what each insurance company will cover, due to the vast variety of insurance policies, companies, etc. The best way to determine whether or not a test is covered by your insurance provider is to contact them directly and discuss coverage.
Note: There is a chance that any test may be covered partially by insurance but in many cases, at-home tests are not covered by insurance.
Who to Call at your Insurance Company
The best people to reach out to are the Membership or Benefits team at your insurance company. Their number should be on the back of the insurance card.
What to say to your insurance company
If you'd like to figure out how much your insurance company can reimburse or cover for the testing, you'll have to reach out to them directly.
Information that might be helpful to share with your insurance company:
- "I am paying cash up-front for lab testing that my doctor ordered for me, and I'd like to see what coverage I can receive retroactively"
- The name of the test and the lab company, example: NutrEval- Genova Diagnostics, GI Effects- Genova Diagnostics
- The sample type for the lab test you took or are planning to take (saliva, stool, etc)
- What the test actually measures for- for example, the biomarkers such as TSH, T3, T4 for thyroid testing.
- Information about what specific symptoms or conditions you are dealing with, that the testing is for