Test Company: Precision Analytical
Test Type: Saliva
Collection Location: At Home
The cortisol awakening response (CAR) provides advanced insight into your stress response and adrenal function.
The Insomnia Cortisol add on: Elevated cortisol production may contribute to sleep disturbances in some cases. This new Insomnia Sample can be collected to investigate cortisol’s role in your sleep problems. This sample is generally collected between 12:00 - 4:00 am.
Key Things to Know
- This is an at-home saliva test
- You will need to successfully collect 5 or 6 saliva samples during one day
- If you or anyone in your household is using hydrocortisone cream, discontinue the day before and wash your hands thoroughly before handling any part of the test kit.
- The samples should be sent back as soon as possible. If you have to wait to send them in, keep them in the freezer until ready to send.
- If you miss a sample, collect the sample as instructed the following day. This does NOT apply to the three morning saliva samples — they must be completed together.
Avoid caffeine and alcohol on collection day and the night before. Avoid exercise on collection day. Do not brush your teeth until after collections #3 and #5. Do not floss the day of collection or until ALL samples are collected.
Collection Instructions & Videos
PDF Instructions Attached
Photos courtesy of Precision Analytical.
- Your provider will notify you when results are in and schedule a follow-up to review them together
Place the entire test kit box inside the return envelope. Affix the prepaid label or postage if applicable. Return using the appropriate carrier. International patients: please check with your practitioner on where to return the kit if there is not a return envelope/label included (avoid leaving out in warm weather).