Test Company: The Great Plains Labratory
Test Type: Urine
Collection Location: At Home
Organic acids are chemical compounds excreted in the urine of mammals that are products of metabolism. Metabolism is the sum of chemical reactions in living beings by which the body builds new molecules and breaks down molecules to eliminate waste products and produce energy. Organic acids are organic compounds that are acidic. Organic acids are substances in which carbon and hydrogen are always present but which may also contain the elements of oxygen, nitrogen, sulfur, and phosphorus as well.
Key Things to Know
- This is an at-home urine test, completed first thing in the morning
- You'll need to avoid certain foods for 48 hours prior to taking the test
- Your sample must be FROZEN until the time of shipping, and sent back to the lab with the frozen gel pack that came with it.
- You'll ship the kit back to the lab via Fedex pickup
- Avoid apples, grapes, pears, and cranberries as well as their juices or products 48 hours before collection. Avoid arabinogalactan, echinacea, reishi mushrooms, and ribose supplements for 48 hours before collection.
- Collect the first morning urine in the collection cup provided. Collecting sample prior to eating or drinking is preferred.
Urine: 10 mL of first morning urine before food or drink is suggested. Patient should avoid apples, grapes (including raisins), pears, cranberries and their juices 48 hours prior to specimen collection. Avoid arabinogalactan, echinacea, reishi mushrooms, and ribose supplements for 48 hours before collection.
Collection Instructions & Videos
- Watch a Video on Collection Instructions
- Read a PDF of Collection Instructions
- PDF of instructions is also attached.
1. Fill out the Test Requisition Form (TRF). Please PRINT clearly.
2. Print the patient’s full name, time and collection date on the side of the urine cup (and amber tube and blue specimen vial if provided).
3. Place urine specimen(s) into the biohazard zip-lock bag along with the absorbent packing sheet. Place frozen gel pack and urine sample(s) into the silver thermo bag. Place the silver thermo bag into the box. Fold and place the completed TRF in the box and close the lid. Place the box in the FedEx Clinical Pak. Note: The urine sample MUST be in the cardboard box or the shipment will be rejected by FedEx.
4. Seal the FedEx Clinical Pak. Please take note of the shipping/tracking number if you would like to track the package.
5. Call FedEx at 1-800-463-3339 for pickup. Mention you need to schedule a pick-up using a billable stamp. Do not put kits in a FedEx drop box.
- Once your sample is received at the lab, it'll take a minimum of 2 weeks for results to be ready
- Your provider will notify you when results are in and schedule a follow-up to review them together
More Resources from The Great Plains Labratory
Don't hesitate to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 669-500-0380.