Test Company: The Great Plains Labratory
Test Type: Urine
Collection Location: At Home
Every day, we are exposed to hundreds of toxic chemicals through products like pharmaceuticals, pesticides, packaged foods, household products, and environmental pollution. As we have become more exposed to chemical-laden products and to toxic chemicals in food, air, and water, we have been confronted with an accelerating rate of chronic illnesses like cancer, heart disease, chronic fatigue syndrome, chemical sensitivity, autism spectrum disorders, ADD/AD(H)D, autoimmune disorders, Parkinson’s disease, and Alzheimer’s disease.
Because exposure to environmental pollutants has been linked to many chronic diseases, The Great Plains Laboratory has created GPL-TOX, a toxic non-metal chemical profile that screens for the presence of 172 different toxic chemicals including organophosphate pesticides, phthalates, benzene, xylene, vinyl chloride, pyrethroid insecticides, acrylamide, perchlorate, diphenyl phosphate, ethylene oxide, acrylonitrile, and more. This profile also includes Tiglylglycine (TG), a marker for mitochondrial disorders resulting from mutations of mitochondrial DNA. These mutations can be caused by exposure to toxic chemicals, infections, inflammation, and nutritional deficiencies.
Key Things to Know:
- This test is done at-home via urine sample, and can be collected any day of the week first thing in the morning, ideally prior to eating or drinking anything
- The urine specimen needs to be frozen for a minimum of 4 hours before shipping
- The kit needs to be shipped out via Fedex pickup, which can be scheduled by calling the number in the Shipping section
Collection Instructions & Videos
- No need to discontinue any foods or beverages before completing the test
- Collect the first morning urine in the collection cup provided.
- Collecting sample prior to eating or drinking is preferred
- Screw lid on tightly. Freeze urine specimen for a minimum of 4 hours before shipping. Keep in freezer until ready to ship. Ship with frozen gel pack.
- Fill out the Test Requisition Form (TRF). Please PRINT clearly.
- Print your full name, time and collection date on the side of the urine cup (and amber tube and blue specimen vial if provided).
- Place urine specimen(s) into the biohazard zip-lock bag along with the absorbent packing sheet. Place frozen gel pack and urine sample(s) into the silver thermo bag. Place the silver thermo bag into the box. Fold and place the completed TRF in the box and close the lid. Place the box in the FedEx Clinical Pak.
- Note: The urine sample MUST be in the cardboard box or the shipment will be rejected by FedEx.
- Seal the FedEx Clinical Pak. Please take note of the shipping/tracking number if you would like to track the package.
- Call FedEx at 1-800-463-3339 for pickup. Mention you have a prepaid bag for overnight delivery
- Results take a minimum of 2 weeks
- Your provider will notify you when results are in and schedule a follow-up to review them together
More Resources from The Great Plains Labratory