Test Company: The Great Plains Labratory
Test Type: Urine
Collection Location: At Home
The Great Plains Laboratory, Inc. is excited about our recently developed phospholipase A2 (PLA2) test that measures the activity of PLA2 in urine. We are the only commercial lab currently offering PLA2 level measurement as a urine test. PLA2 is elevated in a wide range of inflammation-related disorders and is considered a good marker for increased risk of developing or worsening of inflammatory conditions. PLA2 levels can easily be sampled along with the organic acid test (full or microbial), offering a powerful new combination of clinical insights.
Items to Discontinue
Avoid chelating agents 48 hours prior to collection (eg: DMSA, DMPS, EDTA)
Collection Instructions & Videos
Collect the first morning urine in the collection cup provided. Collecting sample prior to eating or drinking is preferred.
- Collection Instructions PDF is attached to this article and also here
- Watch a video on collection instruction
Screw lid on tightly. Freeze urine specimen for a minimum of 4 hours before shipping. Keep in freezer until ready to ship. Ship with frozen gel pack.
Preparing & Shipping Specimen
1. Fill out the Test Requisition Form (TRF). Please PRINT clearly.
2. Print the patient’s full name, time and collection date on the side of the urine cup (and amber tube and blue specimen vial if provided).
3. Place urine specimen(s) into the biohazard zip-lock bag along with the absorbent packing sheet. Place frozen gel packand urine sample(s) into the silver thermo bag. Place the silver thermo bag into the box. Fold and place the completed TRF in the box and close the lid. Place the box in the FedEx Clinical Pak. Note: The urine sample MUST be in the cardboard box or the shipment will be rejected by FedEx.
4. Seal the FedEx Clinical Pak. Please take note of the shipping/tracking number if you would like to track the package.
5. Call FedEx at 1-800-463-3339 for pickup. Mention you need to schedule a pick-up using a billable stamp. Do not put kits in a FedEx drop box.
- From when your sample arrives at the lab, it will take around 2 weeks for results to be ready
- Your provider will notify you when results are in and schedule a follow-up to review them together
More Resources from The Great Plains Labratory