Test Company: The Great Plains Labratory
Test Type: Serum
Collection Location: In Lab
This profile screens for the two most common antibodies against streptococcus, DNase antibodies in serum (ADB); antistreptolysin O titer (ASO). These antibodies may cross-react with brain tissue causing abnormal behaviors. Both of these tests are performed to identify a previous infection of group A beta-hemolytic Streptococcus. These infections cause rheumatic fever or a kidney disease called glomerulonephritis, poststreptococcal versions of these diseases, as well as scarlet fever.
Recently, high titers of these antibodies have been associated with PANDAS (Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorder Associated with Streptococcal Infections) and with autism, Tourette syndrome, tic disorder, Parkinson's disease, and OCD.
Before You Go to Your Blood Draw:
1. Save the cardboard box and place gel pack (if included) flat into the freezer (for at least 4 hours) to ship the sample back to us.
2. Send the sample Monday through Thursday. Extra shipping charges will apply for Saturday deliveries (Friday shipments), and the sample may become
compromised due to the lab being closed over the weekend.
3. Review the patient preparation instructions in the Specimen Requirements table on the reverse side.
4. Please check the expiration date on all vials. If any have expired, call 913-341-8949 for replacement vials.
5. Fill out the Test Requisition Form completely. Please PRINT clearly. For US patients, a physician authorization is required.
6. Call your phlebotomist and make an appointment for a morning blood draw.
7. Take the kit, including frozen gel pack (if included) and instructions to your appointment.
Collection Instructions & Videos
You'll need to get your blood drawn for this test. The Rupa team will send you instructions on locating a draw site or mobile phlebotomist. Phlebotomists often charge a fee for the blood draw.
Great Plains Labs recommends the following:
Any Lab Test Now. Visit this link to find a location near you.
Phlebotomy Services International, Inc. (PSI). To schedule an appointment, contact PSI directly by calling 1-855-600-3722 or visiting www.phlebotomyservices.com.
For other options, please visit www.GPL4U.com/blooddraw
- Your provider will notify you when results are in and schedule a follow-up to review them together
More Resources from The Great Plains Labratory