Test Company: Genova Diagnostics
Test Type: Urine
Collection Location: At Home
Intestinal Permeability Assessment is a powerful noninvasive gastrointestinal test assessment of small intestinal absorption and barrier function in the bowel. The small intestine uniquely functions as a digestive/absorptive organ for nutrients as well as a powerful immune and mechanical barrier against excessive absorption of bacteria, food antigens, and other macromolecules. Both malabsorption and increased intestinal permeability ("leaky gut") are associated with chronic gastrointestinal imbalances as well as many systemic disorders.
Key Things to Know
- This is an at-home urine test
- This test will take 6 hours to do, and includes a special diet during this time
- You'll need to not eat or drink anything for 8 hours before collection
- The Gel Freezer Pack must be frozen a minimum of 4 hours before shipping
Collection Instructions & Videos
PDF of instructions is attached
You can also find it here
The Day Of The Test
- Do not eat or drink for two hours after taking the test drink.
- At two hours, drink a glass of water.
- Drink at least a cup of water every hour until you finish your test.
- You may eat and drink as usual two hours after taking the test drink; however, you MUST avoid certain foods or beverages, especially those containing fructose (fruit sugar), during the test. Please read all labels to double-check. These include:
- Fruits, fruit juices, jams, jellies, etc.
- Soft drinks and foods sweetened with high fructose corn syrup
- Any dairy products
- Dietetic chocolate
- Beans (legumes including peanuts), celery
- Chewing gum
- At least 4 hours prior to shipping: Gel Freezer Pack must be frozen a minimum of 4 hours before shipping.
Preparation & Important Notes Before Starting
Tell your healthcare professional if you have an abnormally high glucose level
If you have had allergic reactions to foods (including sugar-free foods, beverages, candies, gum and mints), dietary supplements, dental products or medicines (prescription and over-the-counter) containing sugar alcohols like sorbitol or xylitol, you should NOT take this test.
It is also NOT recommended for individuals who have had allergic reactions to lactulose or are on lactose-restricted diet.
Certain medications – such as aspirin, other anti-inflammatory drugs, antacids containing aluminum or magnesium hydroxide (eg, Maalox liquid, Equate, Milk of Magnesia, Rolaids, Mylanta) as well as drugs that contain sorbitol and/or mannitol – may affect your test results.Please let your healthcare professional know about any medications or supplements you are using before taking this test. It is recommended that you avoid the use of these medicines for at least 72 hours before taking this test
- Please fill out your personal information in section 1
- Your kit has been pre-paid.
- Don't worry about filling out insurance or payment sections. As long as "Bill physician" is checked off, you're good to go.
- Don't worry about the "online payment ID" either.
Requisition & Payment:
If you paid the full test price to Rupa up front:
- You won't need to pay or do anything else.
- Don't worry about filling out payment or insurance sections on the requisition.
- Make sure "Clinician Bill" is checked off.
If you're going through insurance for the test:
- You paid Rupa Health the Initial Insurance price for the test
- Genova will bill your insurance company for the remainder of the test price
- Genova will contact you if there is any remaining balance
- Make sure to fill in your insurance information on the requisition form
- On average, results will be ready 7 days after your sample is received at the lab
- Your provider will notify you when results are in and schedule a follow-up to review them together
More Resources from Genova Diagnostics