Cortisol Awakening Response (CAR)
Test Company: Doctor's Data
Test Type: Saliva
Collection Location: At Home
Planning & Prepping
- Place the YELLOW TUBE next to your bed, so that you can collect saliva immediately upon waking. Have an alarm or timer ready to set.
- Do not take any supplements until after you have collected all samples.
- The first saliva collection must be collected immediately upon waking, before getting out of bed. You may get out of bed after the first collection, but restrict your activity to light tasks, such as showering or getting dressed.
- The timing of the first three saliva collections is crucial. Set a timer if necessary for 30 minutes and 60 minutes after waking.
- Do not eat or drink anything one hour prior to saliva collection.
- Do not brush, floss, or have dental work done 30 minutes prior to saliva collection.
- Do not consume food or drinks that contain caffeine. If testing melatonin, avoid all nuts, fruits, fruit juice, wine, rice and coffee.
- Before each saliva collection, wash hands and rinse mouth with water, but wait 10 minutes to collect your saliva sample (to avoid dilution.)
- Use of cosmetics, other than “anti-aging” creams, is permitted.
If you take hormones:
- Read Collection Instructions
- Collection schedule:
An example req is attached, showing how to fill out the sections. Instructions are also here:
- In section 1:Please check off "Practitioner Bill"
- In section 2:If the practitioner signature is missing don't worry. The barcode at the top contains their e-signature. You don't need to fill anything out here.
Write your doctor's name under "Murdoc Khaleghi"
- In section 3:Please fill in the date collected, and date shipped.
- In section 4:Please fill out your personal information. This is a security step.
- Do not use a drop box. Place the cardboard kit box containing the specimen and the completed test requisition form into the FedEx Clinical Pak. Write your name and address in the space provided on the prepaid Billable Stamp and tear off the Customer Receipt for your records.
- Affix the Billable Stamp to the Clinical Pack in the space provided. Call FedEx toll free at to schedule your pickup. When you hear the automated greeting say “REP”. You will then be asked if you are calling to ship a package; reply "YES" to be connected directly to a live FedEx representative.
- Tell the representative that you need a pickup for a shipment using a prepaid “BILLABLE STAMP” and give your address.
- Your provider will notify you when results are in and schedule a follow-up to review them together
More Resources from Doctor's Data